Life today is quite fast and for many, quite an uphill task. Balancing Business and Personal Life is absolutely necessary.
Many families find that they don’t spend much time together. Couples wake up in the morning and find their way to their day jobs while the children go to school and end up in the evening back home ready for bed. The cycle is repeated day in day out.
The questions below are tips or pointers in the right direction for couples and families who find themselves in this dilemma:
- On an average working day, how much time do you spend with your family/spouse? Some have to travel long distances to get to work, they most probably have to leave home very early in the morning to get to a 9 am job; They usually leave work around 6.30 pm to get home for say about 8 pm or later. This doesn’t leave much time to relate with one another. It becomes necessary to do as much communication via whats app or other means by having a family chat.
- What are your favourite extracurricular activities? Do you and your family have something in common that you like to do together? It’s good to take family holidays together. If you all like to ski, how about taking a holiday in Colorado?
- How long a vacation do you take? You may want to take your holidays a week at a time, making yourself available to your family if you are the one who spends most of the time away at work.
- On the average, how many hours do you work? Be honest with yourself. Yes, you work hard but have you resisted becoming a workaholic? You may enjoy your work but it’s important to retain some balance here. If you allow yourself to work seven days a week, 24 hours a day, you would never know your family. You may wake up some day and wonder what it was all for.
- Do you have principles that help you run your personal life? One of such could be to treat others decently and fairly. Much of your success in life, be it at work; within your own endeavour or relationships will depend on how well you relate to people. You must have people who want to be with, work with, respect and like you.
Finally, if over-work is threatening your home life, decrease the job level, especially if you are engaging in work that should be handled by your colleagues.